Wednesday 21 July 2010

Wow factor to reality

First blood pack arrives at 6am ... Im told its gonna take 8 hours running at an hour a pack or so but they want me to have a scan in between to check out for internal bleeding and my shoulder for gas.

Drip drip drip - pack 1 - completed - wow I feel really good. Pack 2 - omg I feel amazing - never really thought about the effects of new blood and what a difference it could make but my god this was amazing - any heavy black clouds hanging over me had dispersed and I was ready to start moonwalking in the corrridors. Pack 3 - porter arrives to wheel me down to level e for a scan. They rush the blood through on a timer unit so they treble the speed and its done. In the chair Im wheeled backswards in the wheelchair by the porter who just grunts. It must be a low rider styley as I feel very close to the floor aand Im starting to feel sick as he his swinging me around corners and all I can see peoples knees down. Straight in the scan room and told to climb onto the bed which is fixed and feels like climbing a mountain. Im now stuck on all fours facing the wrong way and should be on my back. Im giggling so much I cant move and the scan lady is not impressed as Im her first appointment on this monday morning.

So once Ive stopped giggling I restart the motions and end up the right way around and on my back. Scan tummy - scan shoulder. LAdy asks me to get back in wheelchair - Im now flapping around on this bed like a fish out of water - can push up due to the shoulder pain and can roll as no feeling in my tummy and gigling as 3 units of blood must be the equivalent of 3 months supply of red bull in one hit.

After a lot of tutting Im back in the chair and left out in the corridor. I look at miyslef and not only have I get bed hair but I have PJs on which consists of vest stop without boob support so they are resting on my knees and knee length bottoms - hairy knees and white knee highs - again this strikes me as rather funny which I tried to kerb when the receptionist catches my eye and decides Im obviously a community case! Then reality hits me. Im sat alone in the waiting area which is mainly populated by heavily pregnant couples waiting for third trimester scans - they are all so lucky and I am genuinely happy for them and I have silent tears now streaming dripping and rolling over my cheeks. It was one of those moments when I really needed Stevo but heard him saying - Doris come on are lucky we have each other - I smile and try to compse myself the best I could as I rearrange my somewhat shabby attire! He is soooooo right xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment